Iced Orange Olive Oil Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup Virgin Olive Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1 large Orange, zested and juiced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with olive oil, then dust with flour.
- In a small bowl, combine orange zest with flour, saving 1 teaspoon of the zest for the icing.
- Juice the orange in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar on a high speed, until thick and pale yellow, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed setting and slowly whisk in olive oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the fresh-squeezed orange juice.
- Add the flour mixture and gently fold ingredients together with a spatula.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg whites until frothy.
- Continue to beat, adding 1/4 cup of sugar, until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake about 45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool.
- To prepare icing, whisk the confectioner’s sugar with 3 tablespoons of milk and 1 teaspoon of the reserved orange zest.
- Add more milk for desired consistency.
- Glaze the cooled cake with icing.
image courtesy of: http://www.cakechooser.com